CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 29, 2009

Princess Gloves

I used to be a princess. As in, I was the kind of girl I pray my boys don't marry. I did nothing. I didn't shovel snow. I didn't work in the yard. I didn't do a whole lot around the house. I know I didn't help with the sprinklers or fill trenches at the last house. I would remember that kind of torture. I'm not sure when it happened, but my gig is up. It happened slowly, over several years. So slowly, in fact,that I was unaware what I was giving up. I asked Jeff why it ended and his simple reply was, "well, you actually started helping." hmmmmmm..... Usually I'm grateful to have traded my princess gloves for work gloves, but after a week of working in the yard every day, I find myself wishing for my princess days. Here are I few things I've learned this week:

1. Don't pick a rock pit as the spot for your gardens
2. Rocks will torture us for the rest of our lives.
3. Wheelbarrows (especially cheap plastic ones) are really hard to drive when they are full.
4. It REALLY sucks when you tip over your wheelbarrow of rocks.
5. Ash and Mike are lifesavers!
6. Spike at Grandma's = MUCH more work accomplished.
7. After your 4th trip to the nursery in 3 days, with two wild kids, they start giving you free things....just so you will leave.
8. Double what you think a project will cost...you might be close.
9. No matter how much RAID you spray, the damn ants will still steal your seeds after you plant them.
10. If you work outside long enough, you WILL see HUGE spiders and have to be brave. I've killed the biggest spiders I've ever seen this week.
11. Having the fence installed to contain Spike is money well spent.
12. Backing a 4 wheeler trailer is harder than it looks. (I know, I suck)
13. Having Carter bring me a drink of water, all by himself, because "mommy, you look firsty" makes the water taste extra sweet.
14. Watching little boys play diggers in the piles of dirt, makes all the work seem worthwhile!

5 comments:

Mandy said...

So much fun, isn't it?! :)

We've been finishing our basement and destroying / fixing up our back yard this year... LOTS of work and lots of bugs.

But, it is good to know that they will start giving you free stuff at the nursery to get you to leave!!! That's my kind of bargain! :)

McIntire Madness said...

I get a lot of dirty looks with my boys in tow behaving in their normal way, but they are much dirtier at the hardware store buying plants.....I think it is mostly because we were almost breaking things.

Amy said...

As kids coming to Midway every weekend we had to pick up rocks and move them from one side of the field to the other, we must have moved them all over to your side! HA HA. Here is another hint if you haven't learned yet. Most of those rocks are 30 year old cow pies!

Erin said...

Rocks always appear out of nowhere. Good luck with more yard work, just pray for rain it always puts a stop to it for a little while.

Bonnie said...

YOu crack me up. I wish I had my princess gloves still. I bet your yard looks awesome. I still need to come see your house!