CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, March 19, 2010

Voles--post not for the weak of heart or stomach

I wanted to title this post a swear word. Pick any one you can think of, it will fit the situation. Horrible little voles made my yard their personal playground under the snow this winter. They have destroyed the lawn that took hours of hard labor and thousands of dollars to install last summer. I have been trying to be reasonable about the situation. We live by a field. I love that field, so I'm trying to be calm. That calmness is over now. The creatures presented me with a gross out, want to throw up dilemma today. I kicked one of their piles of dead grass and guess what flew out? Little pink babies. I thought they were dead. I called my dad. He informed me they were alive. AHHHHHHH!!!!!!! What to do? I don't want them out there, but somehow killing a baby, even if it is a destructive, horrible swear word creature baby, seems more than I can do. I'm leaving them for Jeff.

P.S. I tried to make a learning situation of this awful mess and took Carter out to show him the babies. I pulled the dead grass back with a shovel and told him they were the babies of the voles that had ruined our lawn...our beautiful lawn. He said, "cool..mom, maybe you should stab them with the shovel."

P.S.S. I swear he doesn't have emotional disorders. He is just very much a problem solver. Some day his wife will endure his endless logic.

5 comments:

Monica said...

Are you kidding me?? I would have freaked out..seeing all those little pink babies. What a dilemma.

Danielle said...

In my book you are more than calm. If I had kicked that mound I would be staying somewhere else tonight.

If it helps, our lawn came back after a vole infestation. Hang in there.

Kristen said...

I am so sorry! Carter reminds me a bit of my dad, who reminded me often of the place of some animals. if it makes you feel any better, you are not alone, jenny's scorpions are back too!

McIntire Madness said...

Oh I love it. i have never even heard of a Vole. We have Moles up here but I have never seen the babies! You could always put them in the freezer. The death is quick!

Mandy said...

Carter is a boy. That's what boys do. Destroy. Kill. And think scary gross things are 'cool'... Ah, boys.

I hope that your lawn isn't destroyed and that your vole problem gets solved.