CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Appropriate Footwear

Sometimes my Bear Lake upbringing becomes more obvious than other times. I spend my winter constantly planning for "what if I get stranded". I wear only long-sleeved shirts/sweaters/fleece in the winter. I have a space blanket, gloves, hats, extra coats and food in my car. If I'm going anywhere far (as in outside of Heber) and there is a spec snow in the western hemisphere I have boots and a flashlight. I don't like the car to ever have less than 1/2 tank of gas. For a long time, I thought this was normal behavior for all people. Jeff informs that it is not and that I am a freak. Okay, whatever.

I also realize that I am the only woman under 45 who wears tights and closed-toe shoes to church on Sunday and I have come to terms with that. I figure the building is hot and most people have traveled less than a few blocks. Therefore, chances of frostbite are minimal. I'm not sure why no one else is cold, but again, whatever. Last night though, I was pushed over the edge.

We had an opportunity to go to Solider Hollow tubing. Since we went at 7:00 and it is February in Utah, I bundled our little family. Even Jeff had on snow pants and gloves and boots. (Those of you who know Jeff know that he rarely has a coat or gloves. He is apparently immune to the cold.) As we got out of the car I consulted the temp. It was 28 degrees and there was approx. 4 inches of new snow/ice. We started up the hill and some idiot from BYU (I know this because of his sweatshirt and loud converstation about his FHE group) runs past me to get in line 2 seconds sooner. I was thinking what a jerk he was when I looked down. You won't believe it, he was wearing CHACOS w/ NO SOCKS, and NO MITTENS/GLOVES!! Are you kidding me? For real?!!!! How does that happen? These are the questions I need answered:

#1-Who wears chacos as their shoes during a blizzard?
#2-Who decides that they are an appropriate choice to wear through Provo Canyon?
#3-At what point do you say to yourself, "I have no socks, regular shoes, boots or gloves, I should go tubing!"
#4-What was the girl thinking that was hanging out with him?

Is it bad that every time he slipped or fell I smiled?

6 comments:

Erin said...

Audrey, that is so funny! I would have to admit though, sometimes when I have to walk out to the garbage can I don't put any shoes on and walk on the snow on the cold sidewalk with bare feet and no coat on...but then again it is only about 30 feet in the snow, lol.

Kristen said...

Only a Zoobie - I am sure the girl was so in LOVE! I did not grow up being prepared in the car in the winter - but last year I was in a white out and many of my neighbors got stuck in it - I even go so far as having 72 hour kits, and buckets, in case you really have to go! I too wear tights to church and am not the only one, and I don't even know what Chacos are - probably would recognize them though? How is that for being out of touch!

Blanck said...

I can always count on you for a laugh!

Monica said...

Audrey I hope you still like me but sometimes in the winter especially near the end my feet need to breath so I wear flip flops....but only if I am driving and not getting out of the car. But never never Crocs Snowtubing! Come on Cougars where is the common sense?

Audrey said...

Monica, I still like you! I'm all for flip flops (and even wear them occasionally--in the car/house)for short, safe adventures. Just not for tubing!

Janelle said...

Love it! I've made some poor choices in attire but can proudly say never worn sandals sledding. He must have been proving his manhood.