CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Valentines....belated

Nine years ago on Valentine's day, Jeff and I were counting the days until our May wedding. We skied the Beav during the day. I dragged Jeff to pick out dishes that night (ZCMI was going out of business). I have no idea what I gave him, probably nothing, but I remember exactly what he gave me. I received a red rose and a can of Almond Roca. It was true love. I was certain my future was filled with nothing but romance.

Fast forward nine years to this Valentine's Day. I got up full of high hopes. I tried to make the kids make valentines, but they couldn't focus. (I think Carter got burned out writing his name on all the Batman valentines for preschool). I tried to get them to deliver cookies, but they just lounged around. In a last ditch effort, I cut sandwiches into heart shapes. They were cute, really they were. However, I was informed that they were NOT the shape of normal sandwiches and Carter refused to eat them. So, what's a girl to do but.........



Yep, Monster trucks. Our awesome friend Brandon got us tickets and headed out to Monster Trucks on Valentine's Day. We've been a few years now, and I have to admit, my white trash self LOVES the monster trucks. Spike was terrified at first, but then totally loved it. Carter, is an even bigger fan of monster trucks than I am. He packed up his toy monster trucks and drove them on his lap through the whole show. There were tears when Blue Thunder lost his heat and also tears when the trucks took breaks. Other than that, it was a great evening. We purchased the program ($10!!!!) and it has now joined the ranks of the 2007 and 2008 editions as Carter's favorite books.

So, it turns out that Valentines day 9 years later isn't quite what I envisioned for myself. But when it comes right down to, it, nothing makes me happier than seeing my boys (all three of them) light up with excitement. How can you beat watching a four year old shake it to butt rock music? Is there really anything better than a toddler squealing and clapping? In my opinion, if I spent every Valentine's day for the rest of my life with happy, healthy kids, good friends, and a husband that loves me wherever we are, I will consider it a life well spent. Even if it is at the monster trucks.......

(Oh, and, just for the record, Jeff did take me out for a nice dinner the night before...so romance isn't totally dead)

8 comments:

Amy said...

I couldn't agree with you more!! I was content as can be to be sitting with my 3 boys watching those trucks! I looked for you guys on the KISS ME jumbo screen! ha ha

Monica said...

Oh ya.. those big bad trucks were exciting. But I think my Valentines day ended when we packed up to come home from the resort. Don't get me wrong monster trucks and monster loudness is big fun. Just not as romantic as I hoped for. ha ha.

Andrea said...

That is awesome!!! I always knew you had a little PWT in you. Love ya!

Alecia&Kaylee said...

Sounds like you had a great time!! Kaylee and I went to see a movie together and nothing could have been more fun than spending it with her!

Nick, Kristen, Kaysen, Breklyn and Brayden said...

Isn't it funny how we thought are lives would be and how they turn out so so much better. Who would have thought that Audrey would like monster trucks and go on Valentines day? I love that and that is so great that you can all enjoy it as a family.

McIntire Madness said...

So funny. Go white trash!

jenny said...

I love it. have always wanted to go. Now that we have Ben maybe we have more of an excuse.

Mandy said...

You know, it doesn't matter what you do as long as you have fun. Jeremiah and I gave up Valentines day years ago! If we are lucky, we'll trade babysitting with a friend, grab some fast food and watch the office (what we did this year). :)Ah, romance...