CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 9, 2009

Jr. High Ski Days

When I was growing up, we had "Jr. High Ski Day". It was the glorious day, a few times of the year, when the entire Jr. High would suit up and head to Beaver Mt. for the day. It didn't matter if you knew how to ski or not,you went.....and you had fun. It was before the days of helmets. Kids rocked the day in jeans. I don't know if I ever saw anyone in goggles. Maybe we had sunglasses? Probably not. The school loaded us on buses, packed us box lunches, and set us free. The entire day, including a short lesson (if you were shamed into taking one), rental skis, and a lift pass was $10. Free of parents and lacking common sense, the day was chaos. By the end of the day, coats were tied around waists and kids were skiing runs we had NO BUSINESS being on, taking sweet jumps when we could barely snowplow. Oh, the glory days.

Over the years Ashley and I have joked that when we ski poorly, it is a "Jr. High ski day". Last weekend, I had a true Jr. High day. Ash and Mike invited me to hike up Garden City Canyon and ski with them. I really wanted to go. However, I had no skins to skin in, so Mike volunteered to carry my skis while I went in on snowshoes. (Seriously, who does that...thanks Mike!!!). Then I realized I had no boots, so I wore my random winter shoes and gators that I got when I was 11. Hello, ghetto. Anyway, I was totally dragging on the hike up. I lost my hat when I sat down to fix my shoe. When it was time to ski, I got freaked out and had a mental breakdown. (Mental breakdown=me lying in the snow with my skis straight in the air). I was a mess. But then, just like those ski days from so long ago, it was totally awesome. I saw a view of the lake I've never seen before. I felt proud that I actually made it to the top. I felt even prouder that I made it to the bottom. I was out of my league and it was miserable and wonderful.

6 comments:

McIntire Madness said...

So fun!

Nick, Kristen, Kaysen, Breklyn and Brayden said...

Ohhh those where the days!! I was just thinking about "jr high ski days" the other day. I love them even though I totally sucked and had never been skiing a day in my life before 6th grade!

Monica said...

That looks amazing! Over your head whatever you know you can rock it!

p.s. your jr. high ski days sounded out of this world awesome.. Thanks of the insight into those days.

Janelle said...

I'm jealous. Some day it will be us, kids in school, taking an afternoon for adventure.

Ali said...

Audry I love reading your blog! You are too funny!
What a great day you had. You have to have a few days a year you exert yourself to remember you're still young and we still have a little bit of awesomeness left in us!( zion's the key hole was one of those moments for me, swimming through that freezing butt cold water was somehow all the way worth it!)
p.s. my kids devoured the yummo muffins you brought over. They were awesome! Thanks for thinking of my neglected kids while my green face is buried in the couch cushins.

Bonnie said...

Awesome pictures!