CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Houses and Homes



Sometimes you have a moment, and while it is happening, you realize you'll remember it forever. I had that moment yesterday. It wasn't anything dramatic, but I was sweeping out the basement of our new house and Jeff was outside cleaning up the construction mess. Spike was at my mom's and Carter was at primary practice. It reminded me of six years ago when Jeff and I were cleaning up the construction on the house we live in now. What struck me was how different it felt.

When we built our first house, we'd been married two years and had no kids, just Zoiee. Building the house was so exciting. We were grown ups! When I looked at the house I thought about where I'd put pieces of furniture. I wanted everything to look perfect. We were going to have a house, but I don't know if I really thought of it as a home for my family.

Building a home for a family is entirely different. It is fulfilling a primal need that every parent throughout time has worried about, it is providing shelter for your family. I know that the paint on the walls will get nicked and worn. I know the floor will have scratches. But I guess that is okay. Because this time, I care about our home protecting us. I caught myself looking at the heating ducts and praying they'd keep my babies warm on cold nights. I saw the electrical work and hoped it was done correctly so that there was never a fire in our home. I looked at the roof and decided it would keep us dry no matter what nature gave us. I prayed this house would give our family shelter from the storms of life.

When I was a baby, my mom and dad built their home from a kit that came on a semi. They did it all themselves with a one year old in tow. As the years went on and they talked of a new house, my dad was always adamant that he wasn't moving. He had built this house and wasn't leaving. I, of course, thought he was crazy. Then today, I understood. He knew the house. He knew every part of it. He'd built it as a a labor of love to keep his family safe. The house had served him well. How could he abandon it because it showed signs of wear?

I don't know how long we'll be in our Midway home, but I do know this, it will be a home and not just a house.

7 comments:

Bonnie said...

Your house is beautiful! I love your insights too. It is amazing how much children shift the worry. We already have scuffs on the floor and wall and I laugh whenever Cory gets that frown on his face. I know he is thinking of all the hard work he did to make it "perfect". Our house is only "perfect" though because it is ours with our adorable children who are growing up with the safety, security and love that is within its walls. Thank you for the reminder! I can't wait to come see it!

Jessica said...

This post is so sweet! It is a beautiful home. I am so happy for you and your family.

Mandy said...

Such a profound observation. :)

Your blog is so true... being a parent changes everything.

Erin said...

Your house looks so beautiful, thanks for sharing your thoughts It is so true how children change your perspective on things.

Kristen said...

I am excited to come and see it. It looks wonderful. I am hoping your hold house sells quickly to relieve that burden. I loved your post, and my house if FAR from perfect! Good luck!

McIntire Madness said...

Looks great! What a great place to build lots of fun memories.

Leslie Garbanati said...

Audrey,
I love to read your insights so much! You are so wonderful!