CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 12, 2009

The Verdict

The pediatric GI called this afternoon and the verdict is in...Eosinophilic Esophagitis. If you are curious, here is link http://allergies.about.com/od/foodallergies/a/ee.htm After talking to the doctor, I've decided that this sucks, but we can deal with it. The plan is to elminate soy from his already restricted diet. That means no soy, gluten, dairy, eggs, or peas. I'm sure there will be a learning curve to this, but I hope that the main change will just be from soy milk to rice milk. Fortuantely, he already eats very little processed food, so maybe this elimination won't be as hard as the others? Keep your fingers crossed. In addition, he will begin with a systemic steroid for the next few weeks and then move to a topical steriod. The hope is that this will clear up the inflamation so that he can handle food better.

Thank you so much for all of your concern and support over the last week. The process of waiting and worrying was overwhelming, lonely and draining . Your support and love made the process easier. Often, I find myself worrying that I've done something wrong, something to cause Spike suffering. Your sweet comments and emails helped me to find confidence in myself and my ability to be a good mother to my boys. Thank you for being our friends. Thank you for loving us despite all of our shortcomings. Thank you.


6 comments:

Jessica said...

Well I guess it is good to know so you can move ahead. Spike looks great! You are doing awesome things for him!

Kristen said...

How could you be doing anything wrong - you were doing your best and have gotten him help. Plus, he has been thriving and also very playful - who would have thought? At least now you have some answers.

Nicole said...

I totally agree with Kristen, its just one of those things that is no ones fault, just a trial in your life to make you stronger. Spike must be a special little boy that can handle lots of stuff to have these things to overcome at such a young age. I can tell already that you have a really neat family Audrey and those boys are very blessed to have you as a mother!

Monica said...

You are such a good mom Audrey! You should never doubt yourself. I glad Spike is going to start feeling better. Watch out he may just be a heavy weight soon.

Nick, Kristen, Kaysen, Breklyn and Brayden said...

I am glad that you know what is wrong now and that Spike can get the help he needs, that being said I am sure it is still hard. You are so not at fault for this and you are such an amazing person. Our biggest trials can also be our biggest blessing. Good luck and let us know what we can do to help.

Amy said...

I can't believe you would even doubt yourself as a mother! You have done so much research and changed your whole lifestyle for that kid. You are amazing!
Hopefully those steroids will help him. Let us know how his progress is going.