CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Horrible Comments



Spike is a really cute kid. He's spunky and vibrant. He's loving and adventurous. He also has food allergies. Food allergies are only one part of him. When they are managed well, they are an insignificant part. When not managed, they are perhaps the most important thing to know about him. Eggs can kill him. Other foods affect his GI system. If he has a few bites, no big deal. If he eats a lot, it is a big deal. He will be miserable. He won't retain calories. He won't grow and develop normally. Today I saw this article on KSL. http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=8632606. The article itself is benign, but the comments really bothered me. Posters made horrible comments about how "food allergies are thinning the heard" and "children with food allergies shouldn't be allowed in public." First, I was horrified by the negative tone. It shocked me. It made my stomach sick. It made me want to cry and then it made me mad. Then a more clear thought took over. Gratitude. I was overwhelmed with gratitude for YOU, our friends and family.

I do not expect anyone to make special things for Spike. It isn't a fair thing to ask of anyone other than Jeff and I. That said, more often than not, I see you reading labels for Spike. You have special "spike treats." When he was younger, you vacuumed and swept your houses before we came so he didn't pick up crumbs. You make separate space on the grill for Spike's meat. You are patient when I ask a million questions about ingredients. You limit your restaurant choices so we can feed Spike. When he's thrown up at the most inopportune times, you've smiled through your gag reflex and helped us. You've listened to Spike scream for hours and and you've still hung out with us. When I slack off and don't pay attention to Spike, you are extra eyes watching everything he eats. You are literally a support for me and safety net for Spike. Your kindness and attentiveness affords not just Spike, but our entire family, a normal quality of life. You've done all of this without our asking. You've done it because you care about our family.

I grateful he has allergies? NO! Am I grateful for your love and concern that allows not just Spike, but our ENTIRE family a higher quality of life? YES!!! Thank you!

7 comments:

Amy said...

OH NO THEY DIDN'T! (used in nene's voice) haha

I will be commenting ALL over KSL. I can't believe some of those people are saying that people with food allergies shouldn't be in public!?!?!?

WOW! People need to educate themselves before they open their mouth!

Danielle said...

I totally know what you are talking about. Its frustrating when people who don't have an understanding are still vocal with their opinions.

True friends, though...there's nothing better!

Bonnie said...

Wow! I couldn't even finish reading the comments. So horrible, so selfish and so...I don't even know. It seems like this kind of discrimination happens whenever people are naive. Spike is adorable and he has a great mom! I'm grateful that my Father in Heaven knew to send Spike to a mom who would/could take care of him!!!

Monica said...

Everyone Loves Spike! Geez Audrey you almost made me cry.

Mandy said...

I honestly think some people wait around and just comment on KSL to be idiot a--holes. Yep. I said it. A--holes. Censored swearing!

You are a great mom and I'm grateful that you have wonderful friends who love and understand you and your little guys.

If I were closer, I'd like to think I'd be one of them.

Love to you. Loving the gratitude posts.

Ali said...

Spike is an awesome kid, you are blessed to have him, and we are blessed to have you guys as friends. I think there is just a panel of jerks that say something completly ignorant on every article I have read comments on ksl.

Rick and T said...

hang in there-you are doing great! and don't stop blogging cause its way better than facebook!